Columbus Base Forums Community Members options Search Web
March 2019 Meeting Minutes
Joined: May 12, 2007
Location: Dublin, Ohio
|Post subject: March 2019 Meeting Minutes
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:42 am
COLUMBUS BASE MEETING MINUTES 2 March 2019
Call to Order:
1300 – Commander, Tim Barker called the meeting to order.
COB John Bethea led in the salute to the flag.
Chaplain Walt Fleak gave the invocation.
Tolling of the lost boats was conducted by Chaplain Sharon Lloyd and COB John Bethea.
Welcome to all by Base Commander Tim and he also gave a brief statement on the reason he was not at the last month meeting.
There were 27 members and guests present.
February 2019 meeting minutes are posted on the web site. There were no changes.
Correspondence – There were four pieces of correspondence during this reporting period.
• A letter from Bill Wright thanking the base for their cards and phone calls.
• A thank you letter from the US Submarine Veterans Charitable Foundation for the bases $100 contribution in honor of Bob Wells.
• A letter from the Columbus Ambulatory Care Center thanking the base for the donation of coffee.
• A letter from the Friendship Club of Licking County requesting the base be a sponsor of this year’s Honor the Service, Traveling Korean Memorial and historic military planes, Saturday, August 24 2019.
Jim Koogler reported on the status of the Treasury accounts through the end of February 2019.
If anyone has some good ideas for helping improve the status of the base treasury the base would be happy to hear them.
There was income from the last months three new members.
Donations for the VFW is on a voluntary basis.
Web site is up and running fine.
• Bill Wright – Two more months of feeding tube.
• Russ Shaeffer – Congestive lung failure
• John Palmer – Battling Alzheimer’s
• Joan O’Carroll – Dave reported that Joan has another month of chemo.
• Dave Hamel was present at the meeting and introduced himself. Dave served 2001 - 2010. He qualified on the USS Hartford (SSN 768)
• Udo Maroschcer from the Navy League was in attendance. He mentioned the upcoming events of the Navy League
• All Columbus Base members have renewed their national and/or base memberships.
• Columbus Base currently has 74 members.
• 21 Regular Annual
• 46 USSVI Life Members
• 43 Base Life Members
• 30 Active living Holland Club
• 2 Regular Associate
• 5 Life Associate
• 62 War Veterans
• Todd Vankirk is attending VA Community Clergy Training
• Tolling Ceremony and Submarine Birthday dinner will be Saturday April 13th (the 2nd Saturday of April) instead of Saturday April 6th (the first Saturday) due to availability of the Hilliard VFW. Clutch passed out suggestion for the menu. He also mentioned a donation to the VFW and a surprise at the tolling ceremony.
• Worthington Memorial Day parade will be held on Monday May 27th. The application has been sent and accepted.
• Upper Arlington July 4th parade is currently tentative. No application process at this time.
• 2019 Tolling Ceremony: Veterans Memorial? Not this year but maybe next year.
• Submarine display: Veterans Memorial? Mac McVey would like to talk to those in charge about getting a display in the Vets Memorial. Possibly having a tolling ceremony on film displayed. There was talk of cutting down the inventory sheets and put them in an excel spreadsheet to give to the Vets Memorial.
• Inventory Status – Let Frank know if you want anything.
For the good of the Order:
• USS Columbus crew visit report
• February 12th – 16th
• Those visiting included:
• Commanding Officer Cdr Peter French
• AWEPS LT William Zupke
• COB RMCM Dustin Bruner
• Sr SOY MM1(SS) Bradley Rumann
• SOY YN2(SS/SW) David Baxter (dolphins awarded during visit)
• Also visiting from NOSC Command Great Lakes was MC2 Luke Moyer
• Columbus Base meet and greet Tuesday 2/12 at Marriott Airport
• There was a second meet and greet (of sorts) at Zaftig Brewing on Huntley Rd. on Saturday 2/16. Thanks to Tony Konecny for arranging.
• Friday 2/15 reception at Columbus Athletic Club arranged and hosted by USO.
• Crew had a very full schedule. Not much leisure time. We hope to get a trip together and go to Norfolk before the boat returns to Pearl
• USS COLUMBUS CREW VISIT Write-up. There was a discussion about doing an article for the Submariner magazine.
• Tim and Clutch showed two pictures of the crew at the Columbus Blue Jackets game.
• Parade sub repair: includes mounting/aligning new tires and painting the wheels. Also Galin mentioned getting the trailer painted. Rick will talk to the people doing the repairs about getting the sub in. Rick, Galin, and Bob will coordinate.
• Honor Flight
Volunteer Rally, Saturday March 9, 2019, 10:00 AM-Noon (approx.), Beechwold Christian Church, 280 Morse Rd, Columbus Ohio
• Donations other than (or in place of?) VA coffee. Rick mentioned that he went to the VA to drop off the coffee that they had no coffee and were very happy to get the base’s donation.
• Children’s Hospital Psycho-social “wish list” available. Individuals can donate items
on the list (donation is totally and absolutely voluntary). To help reduce the possibility of passing any contamination from used items, ALL DONATED ITEMS MUST BE NEW!! Money can also be donated and will be used to purchase items on the list. Date of next visit to Children’s Hospital Outpatient clinic not yet determined.
• Groton Base 55th Anniversary weekend and “return to sub school”
• Thursday May 2nd thru Saturday May 4th.
• Info (hotel, reservation, agenda, etc) was distributed via email, but see Clutch if you need it again.
• Eagle Scouts: Five awards will be given out at the St. Henry American Legion. Bob will be going.
Storekeeper Frank Lloyd.
• 50/50 drawing – Dave O’Carroll won the 50/50.
Announcement of the next meeting:
• Next Columbus Base meeting Submarine Birthday Dinner and Tolling Ceremony
• Saturday April 13, 2019
• 1700 Social Hour
• 1800 (Welcome/Dinner/Dessert)
• VFW 4931, (Hilliard) 2436 Walcutt Road Columbus, OH 43228 614-876-4817
• Menu: Coming soon.
• Cost: To be determined
Closing prayer (Benediction) was given by Walt Fleak.
Adjournment of meeting by Commander Barker.
Submitted by Scott Steele Base Secretary.
|| 2019 03 columbus base meeting minutes.pdf
|| 115.23 KB
|| 30 Time(s)
||All times are GMT - 8 Hours
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Columbus Base Links