Columbus Base Forums Community Members options Search Web
May 2019 Meeting Minutes
Joined: May 12, 2007
Location: Dublin, Ohio
|Post subject: May 2019 Meeting Minutes
Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:32 am
Call to Order:
1300 – Commander, Tim Barker called the meeting to order.
COB John Bethea led in the salute to the flag.
Chaplain Walt Fleak gave the invocation.
Tolling of the lost boats was conducted by Chaplain Sharon Lloyd and COB John Bethea.
Welcome to all by Base Commander Tim.
There were 21 members and guests present.
April 2019 meeting minutes are posted on the web site. There were no changes.
Correspondence – There were two pieces of correspondence during this reporting period.
? Two thank you letters from the US Submarine Veterans Charitable Foundation for the bases $100 contribution in honor of John R Palmer and Bruce M. Rinehart.
Jim Koogler reported on the status of the Treasury accounts through the end of April 2019.
Donations for the VFW is on a voluntary basis.
No report, he’s in Utah, but the web site is up and running fine.
• Bob McDaniel to start chemo treatments Tuesday. Gets tired very easily.
• Russ Shaeffer – Was planning to be at the meeting but does get tired very easily and had a big day the previous day
• Bill Wright – Had a reaction to the auto immune therapy. Side effect is chronic fatigue
• John Betha – Had a pacemaker put in
• Walt Fleak – Was at the meeting and doing fine after knee surgery
• Columbus Base currently has 74 members.
• 21 Regular Annual
• 44 USSVI Life Members
• 41 Base Life Members
• 30 Active living Holland Club
• 2 Regular Associate
• 5 Life Associate
• 64 War Veterans
• Todd Vankirk attended VA Community Clergy Training. Xenos Christian Fellowship started a group called Call Sign. The web page is https://www.xenos.org/file/callsignjpeg . It is veterans helping veterans in a variety of ways. Sharon mention that they had a man come to their church talking about an organization that supports clergy men that are on active duty.
• Matt Kincaid was in attendance. He qualified on the USS Pittsburgh (SSN 720).
• Galin got a note from Mike Hogan who said he met someone from the USS Bluefish (SSN 675) that he is trying to get to come to the meetings.
• Tolling Ceremony and Submarine Birthday dinner was held Saturday April 13th. Thanks to Udo Maroscher for singing the National Anthem and Navy Hymn. Thanks to all participants and attendees.
• Central Crossing High School NJROTC Awards Thursday May 9th. There will be two awards of the Marvin Pastor Junior Cadet Achievement Award. Tim will be presenting.
• Franklin Heights High School NJROTC Awards Thursday May 16th. That will be the John T. Leers junior Cadet Achievement Award and the Columbus Base USSVI Award for Military Excellence. Tim will be presenting.
• May 25, 2019 – Saturday Flags on Graves at Resurrection Cemetery 1:30 PM.
• May 27, 2019 – Monday Worthington Memorial Day parade step off at 10:00 AM. Galin will be pulling.
• June 1, 2019 – Saturday noon base meeting, American Legion Leasure-Blackstone 239, 700 Morning Street, Worthington, OH 43085
• July 4, 2019 – Thursday Upper Arlington parade.
• August 24, 2019 – Saturday Honor The Service: Korean War. This will be held at the Newark-Heath airport. The Korean War Traveling Memorial and several aircraft will be on display. Galin will be attending.
• 2019 Tolling Ceremony: Veterans Memorial has been talked about but no word back. Tim would like us to extend ourselves out into the community.
• Submarine display: Veterans Memorial Mac McVey has been talking to people about getting something set up. During the meeting Clutch got an email from Mac who said that he spoke with LTG Ferriter. Said he seemed genuinely concerned and wanted to know how he could rectify the situation.
• Frank was told that the City of Columbus has a picture of the USS Columbus (SSN 762) but nowhere to display it.
• Submarine display: Central Ohio Veterans Museum Veterans Memorial in Harrisburg. Very receptive to us bring something in. Need to determine what to bring in.
• Inventory Status – Started getting things that people want out of the inventory. Frank needs to know what you want. Give Frank the box number, your name and phone number.
• IFrank is trying to make a blanket with the patches of 52 subs lost in World War II.
For the good of the Order:
• Parade sub repair: the mounting/aligning new tires and painting the wheels can be done Thursday if we can get the parade sub to the shop. The parade sub weathered the winter well. Galin would like to get numbers for the sub.
• Base picnic will be Saturday August 3, 2019 at the American Legion Leasure-Blackstone 239, 700 Morning Street, Worthington, OH 43085. Sharon and Frank will organize the picnic.
• Honor Flight all you can eat pancake breakfast Saturday May 11, 2019 and a flower sale.
• Navy League discussion and opportunities to join. The regular fee to join is $55 a year and they have one for $25 but you don’t get the almanac
• Kapss4Kids Children’s Hospital Psycho-social “wish list” available. Individual can donate items on the list. It is totally voluntary. To help reduce the possibility of passing any contamination from used items all donated items must be new. Money can also be donated and will be used to purchase items on the list. Bill will be getting contact information from Bob
• Eagle Scouts: Four awards coming up on the Monday May 27, 2019 in Mount Vernon. Walt will be presenting.
• VA Hospital donations Central Crossing High School NJROTC is involved in collecting numerous items for the patients at the VA Hospital in Chillicothe, Ohio. This drive to collect these items will go until 15 May 2019. The items will be taken to the hospital as part of the Annual Armed Forces Day Bike Ride on Saturday, 25 May 2019. The attached list includes all items that can be accepted as well as those that cannot. If you have any items Tim will take them over to Central Crossing.
• Central District 6 Facebook Page CD6 Commander Fred Kinzel has created a CD6 Facebook page. His message: “I have created a Facebook site for USSVI Central District 6. You and all of your members are invited to join the site and contribute any (appropriate) posts they feel might be of interest to other members in the district. This is an easy way to get the word out on any events or achievements of your bases. It’s also a great way to find lost shipmates, and notify others of reunions. Also, it is a way to notify others of shipmates who have departed on Eternal Patrol. With your help and that of your members, I hope that we can make this a fun and informative way to share thoughts and memories with our “Brothers (and Sisters) of the Phin”. For the sake of minimizing division, I ask that we reserve political and religious commentary for another venue”
Open Discussion from the Floor:
• Bill Anderson while in Arizona joined the Perch Base. He got some different ideas on business cards, putting a display or message boards at different locations. Having a presence at different events. Also, when you have a speaker limit their time of talking. Send out a survey on the meetings, what you would like about the meetings and what you don’t like. Bill will be looking into getting a grant for the Kapss4Kids activities.
• Tim received a signed picture signed by the crew of the USS Columbus (SSN 762) that were here in Columbus.
• Storekeeper Frank Lloyd.
• 50/50 drawing – Sharon won the 50/50 and donated it back to the base NJROTC.
Announcement of the next meeting:
• Next Columbus Base meeting:
• June 1, 2019
• 1200 Social Hour
• 1300 Meeting
• American Legion Leasure-Blackston Post #239 700 Morning Street Worthington, OH 43085
Closing prayer (Benediction) was given by Walt Fleak.
Adjournment of meeting by Commander Barker.
Submitted by Scott Steele Base Secretary.
|| 2019 05 columbus base meeting minutes.pdf
|| 131.1 KB
|| 7 Time(s)
||All times are GMT - 8 Hours
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Columbus Base Links