Columbus Base Forums Community Members options Search Web
June 2019 Meeting Minutes
Joined: May 12, 2007
Location: Dublin, Ohio
|Post subject: June 2019 Meeting Minutes
Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:36 am
COLUMBUS BASE MEETING MINUTES
1 June 2019
Call to Order:
1300 – Commander, Tim Barker called the meeting to order.
COB John Bethea led in the salute to the flag.
Chaplain Sharon Lloyd gave the invocation.
Tolling of the lost boats was conducted by Chaplain Sharon Lloyd and COB John Bethea.
Welcome to all by Base Commander Tim.
There were 24 members and guests present.
May 2019 meeting minutes are posted on the web site. There were no changes.
Correspondence – Received a thank you letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for the $80.00 donation of coffee.
Clutch also has a piece of correspondence from Bob Trapagan, who is from the Central Oho Veterans museum, for an event called the Veterans Day Celebration. Clutch will be sending out the information by email. The event is July 20th and 21st.
Jim Koogler reported on the status of the Treasury accounts through the end of May 2019.
Donations for the VFW is on a voluntary basis.
Web site is up and running. A report that the application is not submitting. Cliff will be checking into it.
• Bob McDaniel – Slow progress. Had to go to a different chemo med as he had a bad reaction to the first one. Bothered his tummy and throat. Has no energy.
• Bill Wright – Chronic fatigue still biggest problem. Also has fluid on his lungs. Was having it drained as Sharon spoke to him.
• Jim Tolson – Had a good annual physical but doctor changed two medications and he is adjusting to them.
• Joann O’Carroll – Great report she is cancer free!
• Columbus Base currently has 74 members.
• 22 Regular Annual
• 43 USSVI Life Members
• 40 Base Life Members
• 29 Active living Holland Club
• 2 Regular Associate
• 5 Life Associate
• 63 War Veterans
• New member Jamie Gaffney. QM2, qual 1979 on USS Glenard P. Lipscomb (SSN 685) out of Groton, CT. Currently works at Capital University.
• Jim Ping from the Toledo Base and Cod Base was visiting.
• Mac McVey was invited to go to the Veterans Professional Network of Greater Cincinnati. The organization gets a group of people to come together both employers and vets. Vets learn about what is going on in the communities. About a 100 people showed up. Mac thought it would be a good idea to start a group in the Columbus area. They will be holding a meeting at Zaftigs on June 27th from 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM. Mac has been in contact with 52 employers and 14 veterans’ organizations. Mac will send Clutch an email with the flyer and information which Clutch will send out to the Base.
• Central Crossing High School NJROTC Awards Thursday May 9th. There were two awards of the Marvin Pastor Junior Cadet Achievement Award. Tim presented.
• Franklin Heights High School NJROTC Awards Thursday May 16th. The John T. Leers junior Cadet Achievement Award and the Columbus Base USSVI Award for Military Excellence. Tim would have presented the awards but traffic prevented him from getting there in time.
• May 25, 2019 – Saturday Flags on Graves at Resurrection Cemetery was completed with no problems.
• May 27, 2019 – Monday Worthington Memorial Day parade step off was at 10:00 AM. Galin pulled the sub. Had a good turn out.
• July 4, 2019 – Thursday Upper Arlington parade.
• July 13 2019 – Saturday Noon Base Meeting, American Legion Leasure-Blackston 239, 700 Morning Street, Worthington, OH 43085.
• August 3, 2019 – Base picnic
• August 14-20, 2019 – USSVI National Convention Austin, Texas.
• August 24, 2019 – Saturday Honor The Service: Korean War. This will be held at the Newark-Heath airport. The Korean War Traveling Memorial and several aircraft will be on display. Galin will be attending.
• Submarine display: Veterans Memorial Mac McVey talked to the General that runs the vet and found out he was not part of the initial setup. Mac told him that there was zero submarine display at the museum and the General agreed. The General took Mac around and showed him where they were going to put up new displays and told Mac to get them some stuff to display. The base can loan the museum items to be displayed. Base members may have some WWII memorabilia or videos that the Vets Memorial would like to display. The sooner the material is delivered to Vets Memorial the sooner it will be displayed. Bill Anderson was asked to be on a committee to determine what should be displayed. If any one else is interested in being on the committee let Mac know.
• Submarine display: Central Ohio Veterans Museum Veterans Memorial in Harrisburg. Very receptive to us bring something in. Need to determine what to bring in.
• No Update
For the good of the Order:
• Central District 6 elections. Clutch sent out the ballot.
• Parade sub repair: The tires are looking good now and are good for the year. Galin would like to get the sub back in to have them look at the cracking. Possibly get it in after July 4th if they can look at it before August 24th. Rick and Galin will be taking care of the numbers on the sub.
• Base picnic will be Saturday August 3, 2019 at the American Legion Leasure-Blackstone 239, 700 Morning Street, Worthington, OH 43085. Sharon and Frank will organize the picnic. Chicken and Brats are currently on the menu. Jamie mentioned that the Gahanna VFW gets their steaks from Carfagna’s at a reasonable price. Sharon will be sending out a list of what everyone can bring
• Honor Flight
• Kapss4Kids Bill talked to Bob McDaniel and Bob at this time is unable to get the material for Bill. Bill told Bob that is fine and the he would work on Bob’s schedule. Until then it is on hold.
• Eagle Scouts: Seven certificates were presented the weekend of Junes 1st to Hudson Isaac Smith, Luke David Whitacre, Joseph Michael Hedge, Justin Allen Thomas, Logan Russell Kaufman, Andrew Lewis McKinley, and Jonah Jacob Overly.
Open Discussion from the Floor:
• Russ thanked everyone for the cards he received while he was laid up and Sharon for all the phone calls.
• Storekeeper Frank Lloyd.
• 50/50 drawing – Sharon won the 50/50 and donated it back to the base NJROTC.
Announcement of the next meeting:
• Next Columbus Base meeting:
• July 13, 2019 (2nd Saturday due to July 4th holiday weekend)
• 1200 Social Hour
• 1300 Meeting
• American Legion Leasure-Blackston Post #239, 700 Morning Street, Worthington, OH 43085
Closing prayer (Benediction) was given by Sharon Lloyd.
Adjournment of meeting by Commander Barker.
Submitted by Scott Steele Base Secretary.
|| 2019 06 columbus base meeting minutes.pdf
|| 125.14 KB
|| 23 Time(s)
||All times are GMT - 8 Hours
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Columbus Base Links