Columbus Base Forums Community Members options Search Web
September 2019 Meeting Minutes
Joined: May 12, 2007
Location: Dublin, Ohio
|Post subject: September 2019 Meeting Minutes
Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:15 am
Call to Order:1300
Base Treasurer, Jim “Clutch” Koogler called the meeting to order.
COB John Bethea led in the salute to the flag.
Chaplain Sharon Lloyd gave the invocation.
Tolling of the lost boats was conducted by Chaplain Sharon Lloyd and COB John Bethea.
Welcome to all by Base Treasurer Clutch.
There were 24 members and guests present.
August 2019 meeting minutes are posted on the web site.
Thanks to Clutch for taking the August minutes. There were no changes.
Correspondence – None.
Jim Koogler reported on the status of the Treasury accounts through the end of August 2019.
Donations for the VFW are on a voluntary basis.
To help the base make some money the base is selling metal dolphins with boat name/number like those that Vic Van Horn presented to the base. Price is $60.00 which include shipping directly to the address of your choice. The base will get approximately $15.00 from each sell.
Bob Frier donated models to the Columbus Base of the USS Thresher (SSN-593) and the USS Scorpion (SSN-589) that he won at the USSVI convention.
Clutch is looking for ideas of how we can make money for the base from this donation.
Web site is up and running.
• Bill Wright – Died on August 9, 2019. He passed away three days after he was told he had three months to live.
• Mary Wegman – The wife of John is holding her own at home with family. John says hello to everyone. Probably won’t be at a meeting for a while.
• Barbara McCorkle – Was supposed to have surgery last Friday to attach a new lead to her pacemaker. They couldn’t find a vein. Doctors will try again this coming Thursday.
• Bob McDaniel – Was at the meeting.
• Russell Shaefer – No answer.
• Sam Templeton – Died January 25, 2018.
Sharon mentioned that a family member, of one of our base members that passes away, needs to contact one of the base officers to let them know.
• Columbus Base currently has 74 members.
• 22 Regular Annual
• 43 USSVI Life Members
• 40 Base Life Members
• 28 Active living Holland Club
• 2 Regular Associate
• 5 Life Associate
• 62 War Veterans
• Johnnie and Sharon Godwin were at the meeting. Johnnie has been a member of the base since 2012.
• Jerry DeLong was at the meeting. He lives in Newark and plans to join the base.
• Galin told about meeting Jerry at the Korean Veterans show in Heath. Also learned about Cody Reel who is also interested in the base.
• Veterans Professional Network of Central Ohio (VPNCO) event is scheduled for September 26, 2019 5:30 to 7:30 PM at Zaftig Brewing, 7020A Huntley Rd, Columbus, Ohio 43229, 614-636-2537.
• November 8, 2019 Columbus (Ohio) Veterans Day Parade the Friday before Veterans Day. Registration forms available in September.
• November 10, 2019 Logan (Ohio) Veterans Day Parade at 3:00 PM Sunday.
• Honor Flight is having a 5k run called Run the Runway on September 21, 2019.
For the good of the Order:
• USS Thresher Memorial dedication Thursday September 26, 2019 at Arlington National Cemetery. George and Barbara Petershagen are going. George mentioned that you could go to the web site and donate money to sponsor a family member to attend the reception.
• USSVI National Convention in Austin. Bill Meyer sent an email asking those who attended how they liked Austin. Galin said the USSVI National Convention was a good convention with 483 attendees. USSVI 2020 National Convention will be held in Tucson, AZ.
• Base Officer selection this fall. Must elect new Base Commander and Vice-Commander. Must elect or re-elect Base Secretary. Must elect Base Treasurer (Koogler serving by appointment).
• Bill will be taking the Parade sub in for repairs. The repairs will be done before the Veterans day parades.
• Galin told about Carol’s grandson who is going to Kenyon College and is working as an intern for Rob Portman. He was given a 5’8” flag that flew over the capital. Carol’s grandson gave the flag to Galin.
Open Discussion from the Floor:
• Storekeeper Frank Lloyd. Frank is looking for a way to get the submarine charts to Mac. Also looking to get an updated chart.
• Clutch had some BZ cards that he gave to the members to pass out to veterans.
• 50/50 drawing – Bill won the 50/50 and donated it back to the base.
Announcement of the next meeting:
• Next Columbus Base Picnic:
• October 5, 2019
• 1200 to 1500 (approx.)
• American Legion Leasure-Blackston Post #239, 700 Morning Street, Worthington, OH 43085
Closing prayer (Benediction) was given by Sharon Lloyd.
Adjournment of meeting by Treasurer, Jim “Clutch” Koogler.
Submitted by Scott Steele Base Secretary.
|| 2019 09 columbus base meeting minutes.pdf
|| 122.55 KB
|| 6 Time(s)
||All times are GMT - 8 Hours
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Columbus Base Links