Columbus Base Forums Community Members options Search Web
October 2019 Meeting Minutes
Joined: May 12, 2007
Location: Dublin, Ohio
|Post subject: October 2019 Meeting Minutes
Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:40 am
COLUMBUS BASE MEETING MINUTES 5 October 2019
Call to Order:
1300 – Commander, Tim Barker called the meeting to order.
COB John Bethea led in the salute to the flag.
Chaplain Walt Fleak gave the invocation.
Tolling of the lost boats was conducted by Chaplain Sharon Lloyd and COB John Bethea.
Welcome to all by Base Commander Tim.
There were 25 members and guests present.
September 2019 meeting minutes are posted on the web site.
Correspondence – One piece of correspondence from the US Submarine Veteran Charitable Foundation thanking the base for $100 contribution in the memory of Samuel Templeton.
Jim Koogler reported on the status of the Treasury accounts through the end of September 2019.
Donations for the VFW are on a voluntary basis.
Donated $100 to the USSVI Charitable foundation in the memory of Sam Templeton.
Donated $100 to the USS Thresher Memorial Foundation to sponsor two families at the reception
To help the base make some money the base is selling metal dolphins with boat name/number like those that Vic Van Horn presented to the base. Price is $60.00 which includes shipping directly to the address of your choice. The base will get approximately $15.00 from each sell.
Web site is up and running.
• Russ Shaeffer – Has been moved to the Otterbein Rehab Center, his room is 508. He feels pretty good considering. They are working with him to get him back on his feet and walking.
• Mary Wegman – The wife of John is going to a special facility on Wednesday for 5 days and then hopefully back home where John has been taking care of her.
• Barbara McCorkle – Doing OK. Doctor is somewhat concerned that they could not do anything with her pacemaker. She has to use he inhaler twice a day to help her breath. She is in good spirits.
• Jim Tolson – Very tired after having an infusion. Was supposed to have a CT scan on the 30th October but there was a hip cup in scheduling. So, it has been rescheduled.
• Bob McDaniel – Will start his infusions in about two weeks.
Sharon mentioned that we need to make sure our families members know that they need to let the sub vets know if something happens to us.
George mentioned that at a previous base that he had been at they developed a form to be filled out telling who should be contacted and what funeral arrangements have been made. He suggested we all fill out a form with the detailed the information. Once Clutch gets a form, he will send out an email with the form to the base members to be filled out.
• Columbus Base currently has 74 members.
• 23 Regular Annual
• 42 USSVI Life Members
• 39 Base Life Members
• 27 Active living Holland Club
• 2 Regular Associate
• 5 Life Associate
• 58 War Veterans
• 37 Eternal Patrol
• Cody Reel qualified on the USS Columbia (SSN 771) in 2015 and was a Nav ET
Tim mentioned that he missed that meeting last month for the change of command for Commander Jim Prouty.
Tim also mentioned that John Bethea had eye surgery couple of months ago.
• November 2, 2019 1200 Base Meeting, American Legion Leasure-Blackston 239, 700 Morning Street, Worthington, OH 43085
• November 8, 2019 (Friday) - Columbus (Ohio) Veterans Day Parade. Application and waiver submitted and accepted. Liability Insurance request submitted and accepted.
• November 10, 2019 (Sunday) - Logan (Ohio) Veterans Day Parade at 3:00 PM Sunday. Application not yet available. Galin will be pulling. Liability Insurance request submitted
• Bill Anderson mentioned that we did get an invite to the Hilliard Veterans parade on November 11, 2019
• Christmas and Awards Dinner and toy collection, plus Holland Club inductions, Saturday December 7 2019, Hilliard VFW #4931, 2436 Walcutt Rd, Columbus, OH 43228
For the good of the Order:
• Base Officer election this fall. Must elect new Base Commander and Vice-Commander. Must elect or re-elect Base Secretary. Must elect Base Treasurer (Koogler serving by appointment). Step up and throw your hat in the ring.
• George mentioned that there was a news report that a ship yard worker was falsifying reports on wielding inspection.
• At the USS Thresher Memorial dedication at Arlington National Cemetery George and Barbara Petershagen were invited to the reception by the National Commander of USSVI but George was unable to attend due to his leg. George was very disappointed with the way the ceremony was conducted.
• Tentative - Veterans Professional Network of Central Ohio (VPNCO) event is scheduled for October 24, 2019 5:30 to 7:30 PM at Zaftig Brewing, 7020A Huntley Rd, Columbus, Ohio 43229, 614-636-2537.
• Kapss4Kids (McDaniel, Anderson) – No report.
• Eagle Scouts Jim Tolson received request for 12/31/19… 12 Eagle Scouts – Walt has two eagle scouts to do on the 14th in Centerburg, Ohio.
• Parade Sub Status – Has to be completed before the Vet parades in November. Bill can take it to the repair shop the morning of October 19th. At that time, he will know if it can be done in time.
• 2019 NAVY BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION - 244th Navy Birthday Ball Saturday, October 19, 2019 1800-2300 (end time approximate) Columbus Athenaeum, 32 N 4th St, Columbus, Ohio 43215 Speaker is Force Master Chief Christopher Kotz, US Navy Reserve. Reservation and prepayment required, no later than Friday 13 Oct 2019. Contact Clutch if you want more information or for a registration form.
• Clutch brought Thank You cards for Veterans to the meeting to give to the base members to pass out to veterans
• Christmas/Awards dinner menu. Tim and Clutch are looking for suggestions for the menu.
• Shipmate of the Year nominations up to the base if they want to do it. The majority at the meeting voted to do it.
Open Discussion from the Floor:
• Galin talked about the USSVI Convention.
• Bill Anderson talked about honor flight. Telling about the two flights going out on the 19th of October and needing volunteers for those flights. He also mentioned that honor flight is looking for volunteers to fix wheel chairs between flights.
• Rick mentioned that the VA still needs to have the coffee donations.
• Clutch was asking for suggestions about what we should do with the USS Thresher and USS Scorpion model. The majority agreed that we should do a reverse drawing, opening the drawing up to all the Ohio bases.
• 50/50 drawing – Cliff won the 50/50 and donated it back to the base.
Announcement of the next meeting:
• Next Columbus Base Picnic:
• November 2, 2019
• American Legion Leasure-Blackston Post #239, 700 Morning Street, Worthington, OH 43085
Closing prayer (Benediction) was given by Walt Fleak.
Adjournment of meeting by Commander, Tim Barker.
Submitted by Scott Steele Base Secretary.
|| 2019 10 columbus base meeting minutes.pdf
|| 125.33 KB
|| 18 Time(s)
||All times are GMT - 8 Hours
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Columbus Base Links