Columbus Base Forums Community Members options Search Web
November 2019 Meeting Minutes
Joined: May 12, 2007
Location: Dublin, Ohio
|Post subject: November 2019 Meeting Minutes
Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:42 am
Call to Order:
1300 – Commander, Tim Barker called the meeting to order.
COB John Bethea led in the salute to the flag.
Chaplain Walt Fleak gave the invocation.
Tolling of the lost boats was conducted by Chaplain Sharon Lloyd and COB John Bethea.
Welcome to all by Base Commander Tim. There were 21 members and guests present.
George and Barbara’s recent visit to Vallejo and the dedication of the USS Mariano G. Vallejo memorial at Mare Island. George and Barbara on the 22nd of October flew into Sacramento for the dedication of the memorial and the reunion of the crew of the USS Mariano G. Vallejo (SSBN 658). George mentioned that he learned that in all 50 states there is some sort of submarine memorial.
Tony Konecny announced that there is going to be a dinner followed by a presentation on Wednesday November 20th at the Heritage Golf Course. The presentation is going to be on the collision between the USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) and the USS McCain (DDG 56). Speaker is Rear Admiral Steve Horton, USNA ’73, presenting facts and analysis of the collision. Invitation has been sent out to the base and the cost is $35.
October 2019 meeting minutes are posted on the web site.
Correspondence – No correspondence received
Jim Koogler reported on the status of the Treasury accounts through the end of October 2019.
Donations for the VFW are on a voluntary basis.
To help the base make some money the base is selling metal dolphins with boat name/number like those that Vic Van Horn presented to the base. Price is $60.00 which includes shipping directly to the address of your choice. The base will get approximately $15.00 from each sell.
Web site is up and running.
On October 26, 2019 was the memorial service for shipmate Larry Reece. Those attending from the base were Tim Barker, Dave and Jan Creekmore, Cliff and Linda Dodson, and Frank and Sharon Lloyd.
• Russ Shaeffer – He is still at Otterbein Care Center. Not recovering as quickly as he hoped. Will get to go home hopefully this Monday or at latest next week.
• Mary Wegman – No change. Still hanging on. John cannot leave her as she is bedridden.
• Barbara McCorkle – Is doing well and able to get out once in a while.
• Jim Tolson – Had an infusion on this past Thursday. It works better for him if he stays home for a couple of days after the infusion treatment. Then the rest of the time he can get out and about.
• Woody Woodmansee – Was in the hospital with 2nd attack of diverticulitis four days ago. Feeling a little better as of yesterday. Antibiotics are making him tired and kind of woozy. Hopes to get better and be able to attend the Christmas dinner.
• Bob McDaniel – Is in Indiana with his brother. They are going to be tailgating at the Veterans Center and watching Indiana University play Northwestern today in the Presidential Box.
IMPORTANT NOTE: PLEASE leave instructions to next of kin or family members to contact Columbus Base if you should depart on Eternal Patrol. There have been a few times when we weren’t aware of a shipmate’s departure and therefore were not present to honor his memory and service at his memorial. Maybe we should pass out “In the event… “ cards with contact numbers?
Working on developing a form to be filled out telling who should be contacted and what funeral arrangements have been made. Once developed, Clutch will send out an email with the form to the base members to be filled out.
• Columbus Base currently has 72 members.
• 21 Regular Annual
• 44 USSVI Life Members
• 44 Base Life Members
• 27 Active living Holland Club
• 2 Regular Associate
• 5 Life Associate
• 58 War Veterans
• 37 Eternal Patrol
• November 8, 2019 (Friday) - Columbus (Ohio) Veterans Day Parade. Application and waiver submitted and accepted. Liability Insurance request submitted and accepted.
• November 10, 2019 (Sunday) - Logan (Ohio) Veterans Day Parade at 3:00 PM Sunday. Application not yet available. Galin will be pulling. Liability Insurance request submitted
• November 11 (Monday) – Base received an invitation to participate in the Hilliard Veterans parade. Participation doubtful.
• Christmas and Awards Dinner and toy collection, plus Holland Club inductions, Saturday December 7 2019, Hilliard VFW #4931, 2436 Walcutt Rd, Columbus, OH 43228
We received an anonymous $500.00 donation to help offset the individual costs to attend the dinner. The donor’s hope is… by reducing the individual costs, we will increase attendance. Therefore, the individual cost for the 2019 Christmas and Awards dinner will be $10.00 per person. Yes, you read it right… $10.00 for a great buffet dinner with dessert… no tax, no gratuity. Can’t beat it!
This might be a “one time only” opportunity, so take advantage while you can.
Proposed Menu (subject to change), submitted to Shannon Abner:
Shrimp, with cocktail sauce
Cheesy Sausage squares
Maple Dijon Glazed Ham
Smothered Chicken OR Chicken Breast with Truffle Butter
Maple Glazed Roasted Carrots
MAYBE sweet potatoes, if they’re available
The traditional Holland Club / Christmas cake
Decaf coffee will be provided by Galin
• Bill Anderson mentioned that the members of the base have been trying to get a National Cemetery somewhere in Central Ohio. Bill has mentioned the idea to congressman Steve Stivers. Bill talked to Steve at the last Honor Flight and Steve said that there has been some progress on a National Cemetery. Steve talked to the VA and they are very interested. He cautioned that this will be a lengthy process.
For the good of the Order:
• Base Officer election this fall. Must elect new Base Commander and Vice-Commander. Must elect or re-elect Base Secretary. Must elect Base Treasurer (Koogler serving by appointment). Step up and throw your hat in the ring.
• Veterans Professional Network of Central Ohio (VPNCO) event is canceled for November.
• Kapss4Kids (McDaniel, Anderson) – No report.
• Shipmate of the Year nominations: Send nominations to Clutch and Scott Steele by Friday November 15th. Ballots will be sent to all hands for vote, to be completed NO LATER THAN Thursday December 5th. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE AWARD… let Clutch know ASAP.
• Eagle Scouts Jim Tolson received request for 12/31/19… 12 Eagle Scouts – Walt has some coming up in the Centerburg area.
• Parade Sub Status – The repair shop was unable to get the repairs done before the parades. Bill will take the sub back after the parades.
• Clutch brought Thank You cards for Veterans to the meeting to give to the base members to pass out to veterans
• Thresher/Scorpion model raffle:
Change of plans. Clutch has not had time to put the raffle together in order to do the drawing at the Christmas Dinner. Even tried using his multiple personalities, but was several short. Therefore, new strategy… drawing will be held at the Submarine Birthday and Tolling Dinner in April. This gives us more time to sell tickets
Open Discussion from the Floor:
• Frank mentioned that we still have twelve Columbus Base USSVI ball caps available for $10.
• 50/50 drawing – Bill McCorkle won the 50/50 and donated it back to the base.
Announcement of the next meeting:
• Next Columbus Base meeting:
• Christmas and Awards Dinner and toy collection, plus Holland Club inductions
• December 7, 2019
• Hilliard VFW#4931
• 2436 Walcutt Rd Columbus, OH 43228
• Social Hour 1700 – Dinner 1800
Closing prayer (Benediction) was given by Walt Fleak.
Adjournment of meeting by Commander, Tim Barker.
Submitted by Scott Steele Base Secretary.
|| 2019 11 columbus base meeting minutes.pdf
|| 127.34 KB
|| 1 Time(s)
||All times are GMT - 8 Hours
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Columbus Base Links