Columbus Base Forums Community Members options Search Web
February 2020 Meeting Minutes
Joined: May 12, 2007
Location: Dublin, Ohio
|Post subject: February 2020 Meeting Minutes
Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:57 am
COLUMBUS BASE MEETING MINUTES
1 February 2020
Call to Order:
1300 – Commander, Tim Barker called the meeting to order.
COB John Bethea led in the salute to the flag.
Chaplain Walt Fleak gave the invocation.
Tolling of the lost boats was conducted by Chaplain Sharon Lloyd and COB John Bethea.
Welcome to all by Base Commander Tim.
There were 27 members and guests present.
January 2020 meeting minutes are posted on the web site.
Correspondence – Two pieces of correspondence was received. One from The United States Submarine Veterans Charitable Foundation thanking the base for the $200 donation in Memory of John E Pendleton and Ron Waldron. Also received correspondence from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs thanking the base for the donation of coffee in the amount of $120.
Need a volunteer to become the Base Secretary. Scott is getting ready to move to Newport News, VA.
Jim Koogler reported on the status of the Treasury accounts through the end of January 2020.
Donations for the VFW are on a voluntary basis.
To help the base make some money the base is selling metal dolphins with boat name/number like those that Vic Van Horn presented to the base. Price is $60.00 which includes shipping directly to the address of your choice. The base will get approximately $15.00 from each sell.
Thresher/Scorpion model raffle is in final prep phase. Drafting email notification. Once the ticket price is determined sales will start. This will be a reverse drawing. The last ticket picked is the winner. The winner will be announced at the Submarine Birthday and Tolling dinner
Frank is going to bring in a jar of marbles and sell $2 tickets to guess how many marbles are in the jar. Whoever guesses closest to the number of marbles will get $25 worth of lottery tickets. Frank is only selling 25 tickets. The drawing will be done when all the tickets are sold which could be at the next meeting.
Web site is up and running.
• Todd Van Kirk – Recovering slowly, walks with a cane and has physical therapy three time a week. Todd was at the meeting with Lori.
• Russ Shaeffer – He is at home. A nurse comes in two days a week to check blood pressure and check on bed sore. Anna sounded tired but she says Russ is a little better.
• Jim Tolson – They are completing first month of Hospice. Jim is in a holding pattern. On bad days he sleeps most of the day. On good days he watches some TV and gets on the computer. He has a great disposition, always looking out for Karla. Please call or text if you want to visit and Karla can let you know if he is having a good day.
• Bob McDaniel - Is in Evansville getting moved. Will have an infusion on Wednesday February 5th in Columbus. Hopes to be at March meeting.
• Barb McCorkle – Was in the hospital last week due to problems with A-Fib even though she has a pacemaker. It didn’t do what it was supposed to do, but she is doing OK.
IMPORTANT NOTE: PLEASE leave instructions to next of kin or family members to contact Columbus Base if you should depart on Eternal Patrol. There have been a few times when we weren’t aware of a shipmate’s departure and therefore were not present to honor his memory and service at his memorial. Maybe we should pass out “In the event… “ cards with contact numbers?
Working on developing a form to be filled out telling who should be contacted and what funeral arrangements have been made. Once developed, Clutch will send out an email with the form to the base members to be filled out.
• Columbus Base currently has 73 members.
• 20 Regular Annual
• 44 USSVI Life Members
• 42 Base Life Members
• 29 Active living Holland Club
• 3 Regular Associate
• 5 Life Associate
• 56 War Veterans
• 39 Eternal Patrol
• 1 Owe USSVI National 2020 dues
• 1 Owe Columbus Base 2020 due
• Any new members who didn’t get a membership card let Clutch know.
• Richard Demboski was in attendance. He qualified on the USS Sabalo (SS 302) in 1961.
• Dick Moore is a new member of the base.
• Submarine Birthday Dinner and Tolling. Will be the first Saturday in April. Clutch will be sending out an email on menu choices.
For the good of the Order:
• Honor Flight wheelchair maintenance happened on January 22nd. Walt Fleak, Frank Lloyd, Dick Moore, and Scott Steele helped with the maintenance. Cliff will scan pictures that were taken during the maintenance to the web site. Below is the proposed wheelchair
maintenance schedule for 2020:
: January 22
: April 15 – Two Flights
: April 29
: May 13
: May 27
: August 26
: September 9
: September 23
: October 7
: October 28
• Kapss4Kids (McDaniel, Anderson)
? Children’s Hospital Psycho-social “wish list”. Individuals can donate items on the list (donation is totally and absolutely voluntary). To help reduce the possibility of passing any contamination from used items, all donated items must be new! Money can also be donated and will be used to purchase items on the list. Date of next visit to Children’s Hospital Outpatient clinic not yet determined.
• Veterans Professional Network of Central Ohio (VPNCO) event – nothing to report.
• Central Ohio Military Museum (Harrisburg, Ohio)
? Meetings/presentations 2nd Saturday of the month.
? Next meeting Saturday February 8th.
• Eagle Scouts - Walt Fleak volunteered to take over the Eagle Scout duties.
• Thresher/Scorpion model raffle. Information is listed above in the minutes
Open Discussion from the Floor:
• Clutch received an email from Udo about the Navy League board meeting that will be held February 20th at 7:00 PM at the American Legion Leasure-Blackston Post #239.
• Woody mentioned that if you shop on Amazon and put in “smile.amazon.com” you get to pick what organization you would like 1% of you purchase to go to.
• 50/50 drawing – Lori Van Kirk won the 50/50.
Announcement of the next meeting:
• Next Columbus Base meeting:
• March 7, 2020
• American Legion Leasure-Blackston Post #239
700 Morning Street
Worthington, OH 43085
Closing prayer (Benediction) was given by Walt Fleak.
Adjournment of meeting by Commander, Tim Barker.
Submitted by Scott Steele Base Secretary.
|| 2020 02 columbus base meeting minutes.pdf
|| 125.67 KB
|| 18 Time(s)
||All times are GMT - 8 Hours
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Columbus Base Links