Columbus Base Forums Community Members options Search Web
March 2020 Meeting Minutes
Joined: May 12, 2007
Location: Dublin, Ohio
|Post subject: March 2020 Meeting Minutes
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:40 pm
COLUMBUS BASE MEETING MINUTES 7 March 2020
Call to Order:1300 –
Commander, Tim Barker called the meeting to order.
COB John Bethea led in the salute to the flag.
Chaplain Walt Fleak gave the invocation.
Tolling of the lost boats was conducted by Chaplain Sharon Lloyd and COB John Bethea.
Welcome to all by Base Commander Tim.
There were 25 members and guests present.
February 2020 meeting minutes are posted on the web site.
Correspondence – None
Need a volunteer to become the Base Secretary. Scott is getting ready to move to Newport News, VA.
Jim Koogler reported on the status of the Treasury accounts through the end of February 2020.
Donations for the VFW are on a voluntary basis.
To help the base make some money the base is selling metal dolphins with boat name/number like those that Vic Van Horn presented to the base. Price is $60.00 which includes shipping directly to the address of your choice. The base will get approximately $15.00 from each sell. Thanks to Galin who sold 8 more in February.
Thresher/Scorpion model raffle is in process. Ticket cost is $2.00 each or 3 for $5. This will be a reverse drawing. The last ticket picked is the winner. The winner will be announced at a later date.
Frank is going to bring in a jar of marbles and sell $2 tickets to guess how many marbles are in the jar. Whoever guesses closest to the number of marbles will get $25 worth of lottery tickets. Frank is only selling 25 tickets. The drawing will be done when all the tickets are sold which could be at the next meeting.
Web site is up and running.
• Todd Van Kirk – Still limited movement in hand. Will be going to a different place to do his occupational therapy. Planning on going back to work on 4/4/20. Sounded great on the phone.
• Russ Shaeffer – He is at home. Still the same.
• Jim Tolson – Has transitioned to hospital bed. It is easier for him to sleep and for Karla to care for him. Hospice aide is coming in twice a week to give Karla a break and to bathe Jim. He has less energy and can only do one activity and then must rest.
• Bob McDaniel – Says he is doing pretty good. Had an infusion last Thursday. They have closed on their house here and have moved the last of their things to Evansville, Indiana. Will still be coming to Ohio for infusion treatments through July with final test in August to see if everything is OK. Any treatments after that will be done in Indiana.
• Barb McCorkle – Doing fairly well but not able to do much. Is to have echo cardiogram on Monday 3/9/20.
IMPORTANT NOTE: PLEASE leave instructions to next of kin or family members to contact Columbus Base if you should depart on Eternal Patrol. There have been a few times when we weren’t aware of a shipmate’s departure and therefore were not present to honor his memory and service at his memorial. Maybe we should pass out “In the event… “ cards with contact numbers?
Working on developing a form to be filled out telling who should be contacted and what funeral arrangements have been made. Once developed, Clutch will send out an email with the form to the base members to be filled out.
• Columbus Base currently has 71 members.
• 19 Regular Annual
• 44 USSVI Life Members
• 42 Base Life Members
• 29 Active living Holland Club
• 3 Regular Associate
• 5 Life Associate
• 55 War Veterans
• 39 Eternal Patrol
• Any new members who didn’t get a membership card let Clutch know.
• Richard Demboski became a life member. He qualified on the USS Sabalo (SS 302) in 1961.
• Submarine Birthday Dinner and Tolling. Would have been the first Saturday in April but has been postponed.
• Wednesday April 15 wheelchair maintenance has been postponed
• Thursday April 23 wheelchair ware house load, airport unload has been postponed
• Monday April 27 wheelchair airport load, warehouse unload has been postponed
• Wednesday May 13 wheelchair maintenance
• Saturday May 23 Flags on graves at Resurrection Cemetery
• Monday May25 Memorial Day Parade Worthington Ohio
• Saturday July 4 Upper Arlington Independence Day Parade
• August Honor The Service Heath Airport
• Wednesday August 26 wheelchair maintenance
• Thursday September 3 wheelchair warehouse load, airport unload
• Monday September 8 wheelchair airport load, warehouse unload
• Saturday September 19 install and remove American Flags at airport for 5k run
• Wednesday September 23 wheelchair maintenance.
• Wednesday October 28 wheelchair maintenance
• Friday November 6 Columbus Veterans Day Parade
• Sunday November 8 Logan Veterans Day Parade
• Saturday December 5 Columbus Base Awards, Holland Club Inductions, Christmas Dinner Toys For Tots collection.
• Clutch brought up about the July meeting being on the 4th and purposed it being moved to July 11th and also the September 5th meeting being on Labor day weekend being moved to September 12th.
• Do we want to have a Base picnic in August?
For the good of the Order:
• Honor Flight wheelchair Below is the proposed wheelchair maintenance Days for Gold Crew schedule for 2020:
April 15 – Two Flights postponed
Volunteers needed as to accommodate the double flight on September 5th
Saturday September 19th volunteers needed to install and remove American Flags at airport for 5k run.
Dates subject to change
• Kapss4Kids (McDaniel, Anderson)
? Children’s Hospital Psycho-social “wish list”. Individuals can donate items on the list (donation is totally and absolutely voluntary). To help reduce the possibility of passing any contamination from used items, all donated items must be new! Money can also be donated and will be used to purchase items on the list. Date of next visit to Children’s Hospital Outpatient clinic not yet determined.
• Veterans Professional Network of Central Ohio (VPNCO) event – nothing to report.
• Central Ohio Military Museum (Harrisburg, Ohio)
? Meetings/presentations 2nd Saturday of the month.
? Next meeting Saturday March 14th has been canceled.
• Eagle Scouts - Walt Fleak awarded 5 certificates in Newark, Ohio on 3/1/20.
• Thresher/Scorpion model raffle. Information is listed above in the minutes.
• Frank Hood (Marblehead Base Massachusetts) request new book “Sub Tales That Seldom Surface” sales to benefit USSVI charitable foundation.
• Comedy Night at Veterans Memorial was inspired by Bob Hope’s USO programs. Program was on the evening 3/7/20.
Open Discussion from the Floor:
• Frank had a copy of the jury instructions that they give in court. Actually, it was Frank’s version of jury instructions.
• Galin volunteered to bring coffee to the Submarine Birthday dinner.
• Commander Tim Barker had us go around the room and tell what we did in the service to help introduce the new base members to the old base members.
• 50/50 drawing – Galin Brady won the 50/50.
Announcement of the next meeting:
• Next Columbus Base meeting:
• Since the Submarine Birthday Dinner and Tolling Ceremony has been cancelled due to the coronavirus the next meeting for the base is on hold until further notice.
Closing prayer (Benediction) was given by Walt Fleak.
Adjournment of meeting by Commander, Tim Barker.
Submitted by Scott Steele Base Secretary.
|| 2020 03 columbus base meeting minutes.pdf
|| 135.6 KB
|| 13 Time(s)
||All times are GMT - 8 Hours
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Columbus Base Links