Columbus Base Forums Community Members options Search Web
June 2020 Meeting
Joined: May 12, 2007
Location: Dublin, Ohio
|Post subject: June 2020 Meeting
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:49 am
6 June 2020
Call to Order:
1300 – Commander, Tim Barker called the meeting to order.
COB John Bethea led in the salute to the flag.
Chaplain Walt Fleak gave the invocation.
Tolling of the lost boats for April, May, and June was conducted by Chaplain Sharon Lloyd and COB John Bethea.
Welcome to all by Base Commander Tim.
There were 25 members and guests present.
Jim Tolson – Qualified USS Theodore Roosevelt SSBN-600 1971. Departed on Eternal Patrol 20 March 2020
March 2020 meeting minutes are posted on the web site. No Meeting in April or May so no minutes taken
Correspondence – None
Need a volunteer to become the Base Secretary. Scott is getting ready to move to Newport News, VA.
Jim Koogler reported on the status of the Treasury accounts through the end of May 2020.
Donations for the VFW are on a voluntary basis.
To help the base make some money the base is selling metal dolphins with boat name/number like those that Vic Van Horn presented to the base. Price is $60.00 which includes shipping directly to the address of your choice. The base will get approximately $15.00 from each sell.
Thresher/Scorpion model raffle had 309 tickets sold, $515 was raised, $60 still owed for ticket purchased. The winner was George Petershagen
Received $120 donation that was put into the NJROTC fund from Bruce Anderson.
NJROTC awards has been paid and the total cost was $266.
Frank is going to bring in a jar of marbles and sell $2 tickets to guess how many marbles are in the jar. Whoever guesses closest to the number of marbles will get $25 worth of lottery tickets. Frank is only selling 25 tickets. The drawing will be done when all the tickets are sold which could be at the next meeting.
Web site is up and running. Everybody will have to reregister. Cliff is in the process of updating the web site.
• Todd Van Kirk – Doing well and was at the meeting.
• Russ Shaeffer – Went through a series of shots in his back but they did not help. Will be bound to a wheel chair and has lots of pain. Anna had MRI on her back and will get results this Thursday.
• Bob McDaniel – Doing OK. Has spells occasionally when something doesn’t feel just right. Takes things easy for a while and is then OK. They stay in most of the time except to go to Home Depot.
• Bill & Barb McCorkle – Both doing well, they miss everyone. Son wants them to stay in longer. Concern for Barbara.
• Bernie & Liz Kenyon – Bernie has had bladder cancer and had 2 surgeries (January 6 and February 3) and also six weeks of chemo. Liz had a broken hip. Staples were removed recently.
• Karla Tolson – Is doing OK. Wanted to thank everyone for cards, phone calls and responses on the funeral home’s web site. She is looking to have a service for Jim in August or September. She will let us know when.
• Frank Lloyd – Had a heart Cath on June 3rd. Doctor put one stent in. He is doing well and was at the meeting.
IMPORTANT NOTE: PLEASE leave instructions to next of kin or family members to contact Columbus Base if you should depart on Eternal Patrol. There have been a few times when we weren’t aware of a shipmate’s departure and therefore were not present to honor his memory and service at his memorial. Maybe we should pass out “In the event… “ cards with contact numbers?
Working on developing a form to be filled out telling who should be contacted and what funeral arrangements have been made. Once developed, Clutch will send out an email with the form to the base members to be filled out. Also let people know when you are sick if you want visitors or if you do not want visitors.
• Columbus Base currently has 71 members.
• 20 Regular Annual
• 44 USSVI Life Members
• 42 Base Life Members
• 30 Active living Holland Club
• 3 Regular Associate
• 5 Life Associate
• 55 War Veterans
• 40 Eternal Patrol
• Any new members who didn’t get a membership card let Clutch know.
• Josten Thipphauong qualified on the USS Pittsburgh (SSN 720)
• Brian Farnsworth returned after a long absence.
• CANCELLED: Submarine Birthday Dinner and Tolling. Would have been the first Saturday in April.
• CANCELLED: All Honor Flights for 2020
• CANCELLED: All Honor Flight wheelchair maintenance for 2020
• CANCELLED: Flags on graves at Resurrection Cemetery
• CANCELLED: Memorial Day Parade Worthington, Ohio
• CANCELLED: Upper Arlington Independence Day Parade
◦ Note: Upper Arlington will have 2 “porch parades”. Each will consist of no more than 25 vehicles and NO walkers. Columbus Base has not been invited to participate.
• STATUS UNKNOWN: Honor The Service: Heath Airport.
• STATUS UNKNOWN: Friday November 6th: Columbus (Ohio) Veterans Day Parade
• STATUS UNKNOWN: Sunday November 8TH: Logan (Ohio) Veterans Day Parade
• STATUS UNKNOWN: (but hopeful); Saturday December 5th Columbus Base Awards, Holland Club Inductions, Christmas Dinner, Toy For Tots collection.
For the good of the Order:
• USS Columbus Change of Command. On 22 May CDR Peter French, USN, commanding officer of the USS Columbus (SSN 762) was relieved by CDR Jonathan Ahlstrom, USN at Newport News, Virginia. CDR Ahlstrom is a graduate of the Naval Academy, class of 2002.
• Kapss4Kids (McDaniel, Anderson) Nothing new to report
• Veterans Professional Network of Central Ohio (VPNCO) event – nothing to report.
• Central Ohio Military Museum (Harrisburg, Ohio)
◦ Re-opened Tuesday June 2nd.
◦ Plan to be open on regular days and hours: Tuesday thru Saturday 9 AM-5 PM.
▪ Plenty of space for social distancing. To be safe, staff will be wearing masks and hope that you will do the same
▪ Meetings/presentations usually the 2nd Saturday of the month
▪ Next meeting would normally be Saturday June 13th. However, current status is unknown at this time. Email will be sent when status is known.
• Eagle Scouts - Walt Fleak mentioned that the campgrounds are closed. No new information.
• Parade sub repair status: Should be ready by 4th of July. Plain City may have a 4th of July parade.
Open Discussion from the Floor:
• Clutch mentioned that he has submitted the Columbus Base annual report to the district command.
• Alan mentioned that he would recommend anyone who hasn’t been on an Honor Flight should sign up to be on one
• 50/50 drawing – Galin Brady won the 50/50.
Announcement of the next meeting:
• Next Columbus Base meeting:
• July 11, 2020
• VFW Post #4931, 2436 Walcutt Road, Columbus OH 43228, 614-876-4817
Closing prayer (Benediction) was given by Walt Fleak.
Adjournment of meeting by Commander, Tim Barker.
Submitted by Scott Steele Base Secretary.
|| 2020 06 columbus base meeting minutes.pdf
|| 127.46 KB
|| 2 Time(s)
||All times are GMT - 8 Hours
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Columbus Base Links