Columbus Base Forums Community Members options Search Web
July Meeting Minutes
Joined: May 12, 2007
Location: Dublin, Ohio
|Post subject: July Meeting Minutes
Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:43 am
COLUMBUS BASE MEETING MINUTES
8 July 2017
Call to Order: 1300
• Commander, Tim Barker called the meeting to order and led in the salute to the flag.
• Chaplain Walt Fleak gave the invocation.
• Tolling of the lost boats was conducted by Chaplain Sharon Lloyd and Frank Lloyd.
• Welcome to all by Base Commander.
• There were 17 members and guests present.
• June 2017 meeting minutes are posted on the web site. There were no changes.
• Correspondence – none.
• Jim Koogler reported on the status of the Treasury accounts through the end of June 2017.
• Cliff reported that the web site is up and running fine and he is also working on the 2017 Sailing list.
Also working on sorting through the patches and scanning them.
• Bob Wells has been in the hospital 4 times since the first of the year was in the ER twice with congestive heart failure.
He is missing his shipmates.
Ken Strahm had back surgery June 27. He and Sue are in Marietta, GA.
• Sharon passed around cards for both Bob and Ken which were signed by all in attendance.
A card was also signed for Dave VanDyke who stored the sub float over the winter.
• No new members or guests were in attendance.
• July 22 – USS COD Base Picnic 1200-1600, $10, RSVP required.
Galin will be pulling the boat up to the USS COD where it will stay for two weeks and
Walt will be pulling it back.
Security for the boat while at the USS COD was discussed.
Frank would like to take any USS COD material from the base museum to them.
• August 5 – USS COD Veteran Day. Boat will be pulled back to Columbus.
• August 12 - Noon Base Meeting and picnic,
American Legion Leasure-Blackston 239,
700 Morning Street,
Worthington, OH 43085.
Bring both a side dish and a dessert or whatever you want to bring.
• September 1-6 USSVI Convention, Orlando FL.
No one indicated that they were going from the base.
• September 9 - Noon Base Meeting, American Legion Leasure-Blackston 239, 700 Morning Street, Worthington, OH 43085
• Inventory Status, Frank Lloyd, Cliff Dodson.
Cliff continues to inventory the patches.
Frank getting into the binders of history of submarines.
Will be taking pictures to record.
Frank mentioned that he would like to contact the Washington Naval History Museum to see if they would be
interested in any of the books. He is also investigating if some of the stamps could be sold.
For the good of the Order:
• Jul 4th Upper Arlington and Plain City parade.
The Upper Arlington parade was 1.9 miles long on a hot day.
The people of Plain City enjoyed seeing the sub and were very appreciative.
• USS Cod picnic July 22, Columbus Base is invited RSVP required (Baker).
• Columbus Base August 12 picnic. Need to know how many to plan for.
• Eagle Scout Awards, Bob and Jim presenting July 23, St Henry, OH, 6 Eagle Scouts 1300 at the VFW
Bob and Jim will be leaving at around 1000 if you would like to attend
• USS Ling (SS-297) – Contribute to www.gofundme.com/uss-ling or
Submarine Memorial Association (502 © (3) for restoration project.
Ling is in Hackensack, NJ and was damaged after the storm.
Clutch is trying to find out what happens to the money if they don’t get all they are asking for.
He never got a definitive answer.
• Bob Wells wants to donate his submarine books to the base. Base will pick up (Tolson).
• FYI, Ken Strahm was the USS Guitarro prospective XO until it sank at Mare Island in 1969,
then he was reassigned to the USS Sandlance under construction at Kittery ME.
Open discussion from floor.
• Jim brought in a magazine that showed the home location of US submarines
and their skippers.
He also had another magazine that showed home locations of the Russian submarines and their skippers.
• Tim mentioned that he got a call from David Farran, USSVI Central Region Director,
asking Tim to vote for Fred Kinzel, USSVI Wolverine Base Commander,
to become the Regional Director of a new regional district
once Central District 2 is split.
Storekeeper Frank (or Sharon) Lloyd
• 50/50 drawing – Tim was the winner of the 50/50.
Announcement of the next meeting:
Next Columbus Base Picnic meeting: August 12, 2017,
1200 Social Hour
Worthington American Legion Post 239,
700 Morning Street, Worthington, OH 43085
Closing prayer (Benediction) was given by Chaplain Walt Fleak.
Adjournment of meeting by Commander Barker.
Submitted by Scott Steele Base Secretary.
|| 2017 07 columbus base meeting minutes.pdf
|| 135.92 KB
|| 69 Time(s)
||All times are GMT - 8 Hours
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Columbus Base Links